What Not To Say To Someone Who Is Depressed
When someone is depressed they will be having great difficulty in feeling happy. They may be going through a very difficult time, or have experienced something traumatic in their lives that they are struggling to come to terms with.
Depression is a persistent feeling of sadness, that I’m sure they don’t want to feel, but right now they might not have the strength or ability to even try to get better.
You may know someone who is depressed, and of course you want them to feel happy again as you don’t like seeing them this way. So you might try to cheer them up, thinking that you’re helping, but could end up making them feel worse.
Here’s not what to say to someone who is suffering with depression.
- You’ll be okay, it’ll pass, you’ll feel better tomorrow
- If you don’t like feeling so down, change it
- Come on cheer up, it’s not the end of the world
- Worst things are happening in the world today
- What have you got to be depressed about, you have such a great life
- You just need a hobby/partner/night out, that’ll cheer you up
- It can’t be all that bad surely
- Come on you’re strong, you’ll get through this soon
- You can be happy if you try